Why Rutland Life Saving Devices

We are an established global company that manufacture Life Saving Devices that last.  Our Head office and Distribution hub is in Chesterfield UK and we distribute all over the world.

Our Life Saving Devices can be one of the most highly used piece(s) of equipment in any building and that’s why we’re raising the bar in the industry and testing our products to 4 x the industry standards to ensure your doors are certified to meet and surpass the regulations.

We’re committed to making your environment a safer place. Bringing you peace of mind.

#LifeSavingDevices

Meet the team

Alicia Smith

Customer Service Manager

Amos Thomas

Sales Director

Carla Smith

Key Account Manager

Craig Ingram

Product Development Director

Denver Smith

Key Account Manager

Jake Martin

Internal Sales Manager

Kieran Grinnell

Key Account Manager

Matthew Neale

Warehouse Assistant

Neil Smith

Technical and Compliance Director

Rob Smith

Technical and Service Support

Steve Wilson

Logistic Operations Manager

Tracey Deeks

Finance Director

Our history

1930

Rutland’s history goes back to 1930 with a talented, structural engineer named James Clement Hughes. He started a Structural Engineering Consultancy business, JC Hughes and Partners designing steel reinforced concrete structures primarily at coal washing plants and collieries across the UK. Coal was then a major source of energy for the UK and new and upgraded collieries were being built in large numbers.

1938

John Ernest Hughes, son of James, became the 2nd generation, joining the company and training to become a highly qualified structural engineer and a partner in the business. The business was based in London where it remained right up to the 1960’s

1943

During World War II, JC Hughes & Partners was loaned to the Army division of Highly Skilled Engineers to help in the war effort working with WS Atkins and Partners. John Hughes was given protected status as he was a key engineer for the war effort. Their offices were in Marylebone Road London where they regularly carried out night-time fire watches during the bombing raids.

They designed the the highly secret steel reinforced concrete caissons that went into the floating concrete harbour sections towed across the English Channel to aid in the D-Day operation in 1944. Some 400 units weighing 1.5million tons of concrete were involved.  The sections were chained together to make a floating road to get trucks, tanks, artillery and men from ship to shore. They became known as the Mulberry Harbour units and can still be seen in place at Arromanches beach in Normandy, France.

1950

The National Coal Board (NCB) was formed in 1947 with over 120 mines and accelerated the renewal of old and new colliery washeries and associated pithead facilities. This was a period of good growth for JC Hughes and partners who were in great demand for their engineering design skills. Prestressed concrete for bridges and precast concrete structural components were developed. J C Hughes  and Partners operated in numerous design projects including the Pharmaceutical, Coking plants and Grain storage sectors.

1960

With much of the NCB mines being in the north of England John Hughes moved his business and family to Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

David Hughes became the third generation in the business after studying Civil Engineering at Imperial College London. JC Hughes & Partners expanded in the construction and built environment industries over the following years, capitalizing on David’s expertise in engineering design. They also moved into laminated timber structures for portal framed and similar buildings.

They were involved in the design of the last deep mine in England Dawmill Colliery. However this this type of work declined and they diversified into office services and auditorium seating.

1976

In 1976 they renamed the business Structural Design Services – later shortened to SDS. More members of the Hughes family joined SDS in the ensuing years, and the company developed an expertise in architectural ironmongery.

1994

By 1994 the architectural ironmongery side of the company had grown so much that it had become a business in its own right.

The third generation of the Hughes family joined the business and it expanded rapidly, moving to a new 25,000 square foot facility.

2004

The business was firmly established as a key UK manufacturer of door closers, working with architects, architectural ironmongers, builders’ merchants, door manufacturers and others.

Rutland was born as a new company, and the business continued to increase its market share.

2010

We expanded outside of Europe for the first time, developing distribution capabilities in the Middle East and Asia Pacific.

2015

Rutland is a global door control manufacturer, helping architects, architectural ironmongers, door manufacturers, builders’ merchants and end users in Europe, the US, Canada, the West Indies, India, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

The company now has its fourth generation of the Hughes family and has a growing international team.

1930

Rutland’s history goes back to 1930 with a talented, structural engineer named James Clement Hughes. He started a Structural Engineering Consultancy business, JC Hughes and Partners designing steel reinforced concrete structures primarily at coal washing plants and collieries across the UK. Coal was then a major source of energy for the UK and new and upgraded collieries were being built in large numbers.

1938

John Ernest Hughes, son of James, became the 2nd generation, joining the company and training to become a highly qualified structural engineer and a partner in the business. The business was based in London where it remained right up to the 1960’s

1943

During World War II, JC Hughes & Partners was loaned to the Army division of Highly Skilled Engineers to help in the war effort working with WS Atkins and Partners. John Hughes was given protected status as he was a key engineer for the war effort. Their offices were in Marylebone Road London where they regularly carried out night-time fire watches during the bombing raids.

They designed the the highly secret steel reinforced concrete caissons that went into the floating concrete harbour sections towed across the English Channel to aid in the D-Day operation in 1944. Some 400 units weighing 1.5million tons of concrete were involved.  The sections were chained together to make a floating road to get trucks, tanks, artillery and men from ship to shore. They became known as the Mulberry Harbour units and can still be seen in place at Arromanches beach in Normandy, France.

1950

The National Coal Board (NCB) was formed in 1947 with over 120 mines and accelerated the renewal of old and new colliery washeries and associated pithead facilities. This was a period of good growth for JC Hughes and partners who were in great demand for their engineering design skills. Prestressed concrete for bridges and precast concrete structural components were developed. J C Hughes  and Partners operated in numerous design projects including the Pharmaceutical, Coking plants and Grain storage sectors.

1960

With much of the NCB mines being in the north of England John Hughes moved his business and family to Chesterfield in Derbyshire.

David Hughes became the third generation in the business after studying Civil Engineering at Imperial College London. JC Hughes & Partners expanded in the construction and built environment industries over the following years, capitalizing on David’s expertise in engineering design. They also moved into laminated timber structures for portal framed and similar buildings.

They were involved in the design of the last deep mine in England Dawmill Colliery. However this this type of work declined and they diversified into office services and auditorium seating.

1976

In 1976 they renamed the business Structural Design Services – later shortened to SDS. More members of the Hughes family joined SDS in the ensuing years, and the company developed an expertise in architectural ironmongery.

1994

By 1994 the architectural ironmongery side of the company had grown so much that it had become a business in its own right.

The third generation of the Hughes family joined the business and it expanded rapidly, moving to a new 25,000 square foot facility.

2004

The business was firmly established as a key UK manufacturer of door closers, working with architects, architectural ironmongers, builders’ merchants, door manufacturers and others.

Rutland was born as a new company, and the business continued to increase its market share.

2010

We expanded outside of Europe for the first time, developing distribution capabilities in the Middle East and Asia Pacific.

2015

Rutland is a global door control manufacturer, helping architects, architectural ironmongers, door manufacturers, builders’ merchants and end users in Europe, the US, Canada, the West Indies, India, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

The company now has its fourth generation of the Hughes family and has a growing international team.

Our passion for what we do transfers into our services

28.8 seconds

In 2015 Rutland sold a door closer every 28.80 seconds!

12.5 minutess

Saved fitting each door closer, from opening the box to walking away

99.9%

Orders dispatched on time and in full

Case studies

Accreditations